Javascript is required for Our World of Energy!

We use Javascript to add unique and interesting functionality to the site including menu navigation and saving your favorite pages!

Please turn Javascript on in order to continue.
Loading, please wait...
This is a test message!

This is a test message!
OWOE - Electrical Power Generation - What sources provide electrical power in the United States?
What sources provide electrical power in the United States?
Topic updated: 2015-09-01

Electrical power accounts for approximately 70% of the total energy consumed in the United States in 2014. Electrical power comes from 4 non-renewable sources - natural gas, which is the largest and produces approximately 27% of our electricity, petroleum, coal, and nuclear. These sources provide approximately 87% of the electricity consumed in the US. A variety of renewable sources including hydroelectric, wind and solar, together provide the remaining 13%. It should be noted that these figures include utility-scale solar power only, i.e., rooftop solar is not included.

In the first quarter of 2015 renewable energy accounted for approximately 84% of the new power generation brought on board, with the majority of that being small scale solar installation. Small scale solar installations are estimated to provide approximately 0.7% of current US power generation.

Back To
Electrical Power Generation
More Topics